Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Get some... #NewThinking.


Creating an idea is easy. Turning it into a business is hard. The startup journey for me has been one of ups and downs. I have to admit getting support and advice on your journey can either drag you down or allow you to leap in to a new way of thinking.

I am a person at times not to ask for help and think I need to do things on my own. This journey of startup has caused me to really seek out advice from my mentors or an expert. Most recently, I have been dealing with some personal issues that have caused me to seek help. So I setup a meeting with one of my mentors, Norm, to get support. I presented to Norm my issues and the actions I was going to take to resolve. All I was really expecting was to get a confirmation on these decisions. Instead I got raked over the coals about my direction. Norm asked me some very pointed questions about my thinking of which some I couldn't answer. I then proceeded to ask his advice. What I got from Norm was a new way of thinking on these issues with a fresh approach. I'm thankful I had the hour with Norm as it really put some things into perspective for me. Sometimes we just need this to formulate a new way of thinking to our problems, decisions, issues or plans.

Let me encourage you today don't go it alone and take the leap to get a mentor that can help shape you to #NewThinking.

What experiences have you had with getting advice that changed your thinking. Comment on it here or tweet with a #NewThinking. I love to hear from you and keep the discussion going!

2 comments:

  1. great advice Greg, most of us need if anything a good sounding board. Your mentor sounds like the guy to give you the straight goods when You want to hear that. I have a client who likes to meet and discuss issues he has but prefers for me to agree with him. You don't know me well but you can imagine how that goes over.

    A good mentor needs to be a hybrid man of wisdom encompassing, coaching, counseling, mentoring and consulting. I guess someone who agrees with you all the time besides being called a good listener would be a sycophant.

    I think the good thing us here at Mentor Plus is for free you can ask for help and if you have comprehensive issues then we can help you out there for a modest fee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, Gary. I am very much for straight shooters and not candy coating it. Yes Mentor+ is definitely a social connection for free advice. Looking forward to launching our Mentor package services in the coming few weeks.

    ReplyDelete